I am privileged to be able to spend some time working with local non-profit organizations and I have an amazing one to share with you today.
Bridges: Domestic & Sexual Violence Support Services is an incredible organization that does exactly what it's name says. It provides services to those dealing with domestic and sexual violence in the Greater Nashua Area. They are the only agency in this area providing these services. Last year they were able to help more than 2000 victims and survivors of sexual and domestic violence and stalking.
Bridges provides services to victims and survivors of sexual and domestic violence, and stalking 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Their 24-hour support line can be reached at 603-883-3044, if you or someone you know needs help.
Some of the services they offer include:
- Emergency Housing. For those who are fleeing a violent situation, Bridges has a safe, confidential shelter at a non-disclosed location. It's a comfortable residential environment with trained advocates on-site to offer support, information and referrals to those staying in the home.
- Support groups. They have groups for survivors of domestic violence, substance abuse, sexual assault, and groups for family members and friends of those survivors, as well as Children's and Mom's support for child witnesses and victims of violence.
- Court Advocacy. They help people obtain protective orders and can provide accompaniment to court hearings, as well as possibly helping survivors find free legal representation at permanent restraining order hearings. They are able to assist survivors in the District Courts of Nashua, Milford, and Merrimack, and the Hillsborough County Superior Court.
- Education. Representatives from Bridges are able to present information to local schools, businesses and civic groups about bullying, sexual harassment, media images and gender stereotypes, teen healthy relationships and dating violence prevention, domestic violence in the workplace and sexual assault.
Bridges will be hosting two "Bridges to Hope" fundraising events in May. The 9th annual Nashua Bridges to Hope event will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Thursday, May 7th from 5:30 to 7:30pm. The 3rd annual Milford Bridges to Hope event will be held at the Mile Away on Wednesday, May 20th from 5:30 to 7:30pm.
The presentation will include testimonials from clients as well as a short video. I've been able to attend both events in the past and I can tell you it's amazing to listen to the first-hand accounts of survivors as they talk about what they have come through and how Bridges has helped.
Bridges is currently looking for community members who would like to host a table of ten people at either one of the events. The event is completely free to table captains and all of their guests including appetizers and a cash bar.
If you are interested in hosting a table or attending the event, please contact Pamela Auer at Bridges 889-0858 ext 214 for more information.
If you can't make it to one of the events, please consider donating to this wonderful organization!
Donations can be made via their web site: http://www.bridgesnh.org/how_you_can_help.php
They can also always use additional non-monetary items such as:
- Gift certificates to supermarkets and stores such as Target and Walmart
- Cleaning supplies
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- New sheets
- New pillows
- New blankets
- Light bulbs
You never know when you or someone you love might need their services. Domestic and sexual violence is no respecter of age, race, gender or socio-economic status. Please consider helping them today!